Mac and Cheese: The Ultimate Comfort Food
Sometimes we want the comfort food, despite our mindset about all that cheese in one place. The good news is this dish doesn’t have salt. You won’t miss it. The flavor is out of this world. Warning: This Mac and Cheese is White. No orange cheese color allowed. This delicious Mac and Cheese will make you wonder how you could have ever eaten the orange version before. Enjoy!
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup pancetta cut into small dice
- 2 Tbsp. Engage Hemp Health Garlic-Mix
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 5 cups warmed whole milk (more might be needed if cheese sauce is too thick)
- 1/2 tsp. Engage Organics Mexi-Mix
- 1 Tbsp. Engage Organics Tuscany-Mix
- 2 cup shredded Asiago cheese (plus a little for the top
- 1-1 1/2 cups grated Irish white cheddar cheese (plus a little for the top)
- 1-1 1/2 cups grated mild cheddar (plus a little for the top)
- 1 dash paprika for top of casserole
- 1 cup grated fontina
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 dash freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni cooked just under al dente
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley cut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter the bottom and sides of a 10 x 10 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add pancetta and cook until golden brown on all sides. Remove to side dish, lined with paper towels to drain.
- Add 1 Tbsp. Garlic-Mix to pan. Whisk in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly poor in the hot milk, stirring constantly. It will take about 3-5 minutes to thicken.
- Add the eggs until mixed and let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add Engage Organics Mexi-Mix and Tuscany-Mix and freshly ground pepper.
- Add cheeses and stir until completely melted. If it is very thick slowly add more warm milk. Start with 1/4 cup and gauge as you go.
- Combine the cooked elbow macaroni and cheese mixture in a large bowl, add the pancetta and freshly chopped parsley.
- Place in the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle Parmesan and cheddar cheeses on top of casserole. Cover with paprika and bake until casserole is heated through and top is a light golden brown. This will take approximately 20 minutes. Be sure not to overcook. You are simply heating it through.