Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
This is a delicious, aromatic recipe that fills the house with the aroma of spice and zest. If you want meatless marinara, skip browning the ground beef and mushrooms. Instead brown onions and garlic until almost caramelized, then add canned Italian tomatoes.
- 1-1 1/2 lbs. organic ground beef
- 1-2 Tbsp. organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1 1/2 cups medium sized purple onions
- 1/2 lb. organic mushrooms
- 2 30oz. cans organic whole Italian tomatoes
- 3 cloves organic garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Engage Hemp Health Garlic-Mix
- 1 Tbsp. Engage Organics All Purpose
- 1 Tbsp. Engage Organics Tuscany-Mix
- 1/2 - 1 cup red wine
- In a large sauce pan brown 1- 1/2 lbs. of ground beef in a couple tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add 1- 1/2 chopped purple onions, 3 cloves of minced garlic until almost caramelized, then add about 1/2 lb of sliced mushrooms and sauté for a couple of minutes, before adding 2 large 303 sized- cans of pureed Italian tomatoes. The Italian tomatoes make a huge difference in the taste and quality of your sauce. (In fact, you can use tomatoes from your garden that can be cooked down and pureed in a blender to produce the same quality. We’ve even used some yellow pear tomatoes in the mix of other types of tomatoes and they are delicious.)
- Cook the tomatoes for hours, adding fresh basil, at least 1 Tbsp. Engage Hemp Health Garlic-Mix , 1 Tbsp. Tuscany-Mix, several shakes of All-Purpose and more olive oil to float on the top of the sauce.
- During the cooking time, I add more Engage Hemp Health Garlic-Mix and Tuscany-Mix to taste. I also add fresh ground pepper and a good quality Cabernet, Zinfandel, or Pinot to intensify flavors as the sauce cooks down. This is such fun to make and once you start taste-testing the sauce you’ll find it hard to stop!!!!
- You can mix this sauce with your favorite pasta and enjoy! . . . It’s also wonderful to freeze part of it for later.